Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lacking the drive

So based on the way my blog has been booming in entries (not), it goes without saying that I've not been that inspired to let the world in on my opinions on the things that don't seem to matter so much in the greater scheme of things. That and I've just been too busy. Not recording a multi-platinum album or writing a best-selling novel brand of busy by any means. Pretty much, if it takes more than 140-160 characters to get across, it hasn't been that important. This, obviously, needs correcting.

Anyway, with that said, I had an observation this evening. My friend's been in New York for the last two weeks, and instead of his parking his truck at the airport for that length of time, I've been taking charge of its operations until he returns. Generally, since I take the bus, bicycle, or walk where I need to go, I've only driven it a handful of times since he's been away. This evening, however, I drove to my folks' house to pick up something, and on my way there I couldn't help but think that - even though I've driven very little since I got my driver's license - I'm a safe, cautious, practical driver. Never driving much over or under the speed limit, always using directionals, leaving a car length in front of me for each 10 mph when on the freeway, etc - what I consider to be reasonable rules of the road in which to avoid unnecessary accidents.

Living in Los Angeles, while it's not impossible to get by without the use of a vehicle, the majority of the population utilizes these readily available four-wheeled conveniences. Whether a personal, company, rented or borrowed vehicle, to have one at your disposal in order to get from Point A to Point B without relying on timetables is a nice feeling. As a result, nearly everyone in Los Angeles has a car. Nearly everyone.

I'm sitting here, wondering if I can get my point without actually offending anyone by coming out and saying it.

When something is exclusive - like a first class ticket, concierge services, a Club 33 membership - it usually means that some criteria must have been met prior to the red velvet rope having been set aside.

And while I understand that having a driver's license and driving a car don't necessarily mean the same thing, for purposes of this observation I'm going to pretend that it's the case. The requirements of having one's license are so low in comparison to what one actually learns on the road that it's like, why the formality? Especially when it seems that the supposed common sense doesn't kick in fast enough to avoid the making of a friggin' stupid move that does more damage than annoying the person in the vehicle behind you.

Peripheral vision is a godsend; if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be driving. But rear-view mirrors, directionals, and easing up on the gas are also lovely ways to avoid erratic handling of self on the road. Being brake-happy is never a good thing. And hard stops (usually preceded by sharp cut-offs) are never necessary.

I just have to wonder if it's just me, or are people behaving more dumb as I get older? Or has it always been this way?

There's no nice way of saying someone is an idiot. One of these days, I will learn this.

No comments: