Saturday, September 6, 2008

When September ends

I am looking forward to October already. October is pretty much where every day is a holiday. I LOVE October. But September isn't bad so far. We are coming up swiftly upon autumn. The school year has started, meaning I'm to be a lot more busy than usual, but that's a good thing. The more busy, the more I'm moving forward and getting things done. The more I'm building my portfolio and getting experience.

I had my review at work. I've been in my current position for a year, with the company for two. I don't know how much of a raise I'll be getting, but any raise is a good one these days - any day. As long as there is school to pay for, any 'extra' money is a lifesaver until I win the Lottery.

My boyfriend and I buy Lottery tickets maybe once every two weeks. Just because the idea of winning is such a fun feeling, even if you don't win. Just imagining what you would do with all that cash is, well - it's enough to keep going. Not because of the Lottery, I mean. Because of your own hard work and the chance that you might be able to make that happen for yourself. That you can retire perhaps when you're 55. That you could buy that six-plex by the beach and have your friends rent it in the summer or winter. That gas wouldn't be an issue because you'd have a private helicopter or something ridiculous. It's just a pipe dream, but it's fun to think about. If I won, I would make school and writing my full-time job. I would 'work' because I 'wanted to', not because I had to. I'd get a few cosmetic touch-ups (wouldn't we all?). I'd buy a Birkin bag - after I'd freakin' save. I've gotten really great at that, and have built up good credit, too. I'd like to think I wouldn't go mad.

It's just a fun idea to toss around. Living in this capitalistic society, it's bound to happen.

So life's been good. I'm always looking for something better.

But the established goodness is working out fine for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

when i got kicked out of the house at 18, my parents kicked out my 24-year-old brother with me, forcing us to live together to save money. so when i finally got a place of my own several years later, i relished being alone. however, that sometimes meant i had no one to talk to. so i'd often make friends with strangers - yeah, i know all friendships start that way, but i'm talking about people i'd never think of being friends with - like the night courtesy patrol guy at my apartment complex: Dan. Dan the Man, i'd call him. anyway, he was utterly convinced that he had developed a surefire system to win at playing the lotto. he got transferred to another property before he could share his secrets with me. alas.

thanks for stopping by my blog. it's nice to meet another working author/writer/whatever. i'll come by often and i hope you'll do the same. mind if i link to your blog?

René
www.workingauthor.com

Liz said...

I got kicked out of my house at 18, too. My question for Dan the Man (via you) is - did he ever when the Lottery? Perhaps being a night courtesy patrol guy was his passion for life? ;)

I don't mind the linking at all. If I figure out how, I'll be doing the same, be sure of that. ttfn