Sunday, October 12, 2008

Random

Yesterday morning, I went on what was expected to be a nice bicycle ride - length unknown - after not having been on my bicycle for a good two months. We ended up riding 51 miles - past ABC Studios, to Griffith Park, and back. This year I did a half-century ride to the city of Paramount and back (to Griffith Park). But I trained for that for a few weeks (I'd been riding my bike to work every day for a year, so it wasn't extensive). I was so friggin' proud of self yesterday - but man, oh man, that was unexpected. . . so much that I believe the most exercise I'll make myself do today is waltz on down to the farmers market before noon.

This might sound really horrible, but I've found in the last - I don't know, 23 years, that whether glossed-up or paparazzi-laden, Los Angeles really isn't anything special. Not that it isn't interesting and with a vast array of attitudes and things to do, but the portrayal of it isn't what it is, really. I'm sure everyone knows that. I hope most people do.

When people come here from out of town, I can understand being a little thrilled. But I kind of liken it to when I go to New York - so I haven't done the tours or the whatever out-of-towners are supposed to do, but I don't think I've ever really been that kind of person. I'd be happy touring the museums and parks and spice shops, or going into the basement of some foodie shop in Chinatown to peruse what dishware I can add to my collection of well-made stuff I don't need. I just would rather do that that feel like I must eat here, or must do that. That's what multiple trips are for. Yeah, I'm a brat.

Next month, I plan on touring mostly museums, since it'll be cold and I might not want to be outdoors so much. I also plan on trying different hot spots, hot foods, or being amongst hot bodies in wherever bodies tend to migrate in the fall. It's the plan; it might not be carried out exactly. But most blueprints require some alteration.

Four-and-a-half more weeks to go.

No comments: