Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Charlie Brown recession anniversary

My folks' 31st wedding anniversary was yesterday, so I took Pop and my younger brother out for a Chinese dinner prior to Mom's return from Washington, D.C. today. Dinner on me was just the start of the celebration, as my family's tradition has yet to take place.

On the Saturday of the week in which my folks' wedding anniversary falls, we all get together and have our version of Christmas. Or at least that's what I like to call it. These days I celebrate Christmas; however, growing up as a Jehovah's Witness - a faith that my folks still cling to - I did not. So with this event of sorts coupled with glorious paganism, it's as if I get to partake in two Christmases in a matter of months. So we (which this year will consist of my younger brother and myself) will give them presents, after which they will take us out and we get whatever the hell we please - at their insistence. I'll want money. But I'm probably going to get something I don't need, like a hot pink sweater.

Despite all of that, I made a concerted point to get Mom and Pop substantial things to utilize as well as enjoy. In the spirit of prudence, I procured for them the following gifts:

a fine shiraz to toast to at least another 31 years of unity
tan moccasin slippers (for Pop)
navy blue slipper socks with a red cherry at their toes (for Mom)
a copy of Parliament Funkadelic: The Mothership Connection that I had the pleasure of reviewing recently (for Pop)
body butter, body splash, bath bubbles, and shower gel in Warm Vanilla Sugar from Bath & Body Works (for Mom)
and of course an obligatory anniversary card with bunny rabbits on it

(Of course I ended up treating myself a lovely pair of tan suede moccasins, and red pajama pants with white hearts on them. I really need to quit the spending on myself, really. After much struggle earlier in the evening, I did put down the InTouch Weekly and Coach purse that was on sale, and purchased toilet bowl cleaner instead. Shopaholics Anonymous much?)

In prior years, I've gotten them presents that have merely been "cool": such as the one time I got them a personalized commemorative paving stone in the courtyard between Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. I still don't even remember how that all happened, but my whenever my folks stop by to catch a glimpse of it, their eyes get all misty and glassy, as was the intention, and then I think how much it was worth it. While I'm certain that they won't react along the same vein when caressing their new slippers, I'd like to think that they'll appreciate the thought and reasonableness this year instead of a boatload of frivolous things, just trying to impress them.

Besides -- I think they can wait to see the Alvin Ailey Dance Company at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion until March, do you?

No comments: