Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Views of the city

I stood on the sixth floor and took advantage of the pseudo-panoramic view of the West Valley
I looked at the cars on the street below, zooming north and south, east and west
and wondered where the very cute cream-colored black-topped Mini Cooper could be headed at 3:42 in the afternoon
Why the hell am I so zapped of energy?,
I wondered while staring at my curls in the window's reflection
Mein eyes made their way down towards my shiny pumps... then up, then down
and for a moment the rare but elusive thought flashed through my mind:
'Perhaps my figure's not so bad'
I gazed to the left at the moutains towards Malibu;
gazed to the right, hmm, San Gabriel
The Hollywood Hills were somewhere southeast
but they were blocked by plaster and florescent lighting
The sun penetrated the weather-proof glass and ran its heated tongue across my forehead as the soda machine hummed an incompetent composition
Turning on my heel I noticed discarded pages of the Daily News, numbering the thousands having recently made the line to the unemployment office wrap-around the building...
...like a good girl, I headed to my desk

No comments: